
Grace 6 months ago
Grace today
I cannot believe that Grace has been in our family for 6 months. At first there were days that were like what did we do?!?! Mostly though it was just that crazy excitement and everything was new, and different and thrilling. Now, we've morphed into regular life, things are how they are and we' re happy and content. It's scary to think how quickly she went from being new to just being one of the gang, I thought it would take longer for here to just feel like one of us. I have to confess the girl part is still special to me and I love choosing her clothes, I mean Valentines day clothes, pink and hearts I'm in Heaven and then comes Easter, I'm already drooling over dresses.
Here is a little snapshot of where Grace is at 6 months home:
Sleeping
Sleeping has never been a problem with Grace, she woke up a couple of times the first week home, then she slept 11 hours at night and took a 2+ hour afternoon nap, and she still does both of those things.
Eating:
Grace started out eating until you took food away, she would cram her mouth full until you worried she'd choke. And this was a chubby well fed kid. She also had a fit if anyone ate and she wasn't eating. Now, she is a bird. She eats very little, she'd rather get down and play. She has also turned toddler picky which we aren't concerned about. She eats just like her brothers did at this age so we know she is fine.
Potty:
When we got Grace she was sitting on the pot at the Baby house, but not potty trained. We left her in diapers and waited to potty train until she showed us she was ready. At Christmas she was saying poopy and pointing to her pants and then going, so we took the plunge. Grace is fully potty trained, we can leave the house with her in panties and she also stays dry through nap. She isn't going poopy there yet, but she's getting close. She is still in a diaper at night, but I think she'll be out of that soon too. All of this potty stuff has us moving her to a big girl bed in a month or tow, she needs to be able to get out if she has to go potty.
Social:
Grace loves other kids (she lives in a herd) so she does great with them and loves to be around them. She doesn't share worth a hoot, typical for a two year old, but she'd probably more extreme than your average two year old. We're working on sharing and she's getting a tiny bit better, it will come with time.
Attachment:
This is the biggy, as an adoptive parent, I was worried about. They have you so concerned about that you look for signs everywhere. I'm sure we didn't need to pay quite so much attention, but it's good to notice, plus I've seen amazing growth here when I pay attention. If you had asked me three weeks ago about Grace's attachment I would have said very secure, she i really attached and we don't worry about it all. I started to notice little things that she is doing lately that show me her attachment to us deepening even further, it really is an evolving thing. Grace now comes and wants to be held, just to b held. She's always been willing to be held if you just pick her up or are carrying her somewhere, but now she just likes you to hold her. She has always been happy to sin in our laps for quite a long period of time and she looks in our eyes for eye contact a lot. Now she really snuggles into you. she is also coming to us for kisses all the time, before she would kiss when asked or if she was sitting on you and you kissed her head she'd come kiss your mouth. Now she walks up to you all day and makes the kissing sound and says ki, very sweet. So I say she's really attached to us, but it's always evolving and she'll grow even more attached as time goes on.
Speech:
Grace has been diagnosed with a speech delay, so she'll be starting therapy tomorrow! We are thrilled that she qualified and that she'll get the extra boost she needs so she can communicate with us better.
All in all, this has been a fairy tale, not without it's ups and downs, I mean she is a stubborn drama queen who'd like to run the show. She has added so much to our family and there isn't a person in it who isn't thrilled sh joined us. Happy 6 month homeiversary Baby Girl, we love you to the moon and back!

3 comments:
Happy six months! She really is adorable! Yes, the girl shopping is fun isn't it? Now that I have two girls, I can stop torturing my boys with the look alike clothes (and do that to the girls for awhile!)
Congrats on 6 months. She has come soo far.
I love picking out the girly clothes too.
Happy 6 months home! Grace is so cute and seriously - what a ham?! It's amazing how quickly things can change/grow in only 6 months time. It sounds like she is doing amazingly well and you got everything you wanted being that she is all girl (Drama Queen, dresses, hair bows, etc)!
Post a Comment